Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pilgrim Apologetics Class Blog

Happy New Year! And welcome to the Pilgrim Apologetics Class blog...

From time to time, I'll be posting class notes, pointers to interesting articles on apologetics, maybe a book review or two, and the occasional link to a pertinent video. I'll start with a link to a short lecture by R.C. Sproul entitled, "Why Apologetics?" R.C. does a good job of showing how important apologetics is to the Christian (and to the non-Christian as well). However, pay particular attention to his brief comments about how he approaches apologetics vs. how his Lutheran colleague approaches apologetics -- it will be a source of discussion for our class when we cover the section on "Classical Apologetics."

Here's the link:
http://www.ligonier.org/media_player.php?tabID=1&id=146

Enjoy! And please feel free to post comments and questions...

7 comments:

  1. First Post!

    ... sorry, Couldn't resist ;)

    Perhaps you should put up a blogroll of other Godbloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No love for Gordon Clark I see ;-)

    His philosophical views have been referred to as Scripturalism; I was not insisting that his view is the only scriptural view on apologetics.

    --Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute! Who has no love for Gordon Clark? Just let me at em. I've never heard that term applied to his view, but I think it's an accurate one. As Chris says, the label does not necessarily imply that it is the only approach of which Scripture would approve, but rather it describes an approach to apologetics which self consciously begins with Scripture and argues from it. Gordon Clark belongs to the presuppositional camp. Hey, how do I sign on as a "follower" so I can put up an obnoxious picture of myself with my helmet on or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: No love for Gordon Clark I see ;-)
    ---------------------------------------
    As Doug points out, Gordon Clark falls into the presuppositional camp, and I've heard his approach referred to as "rational presuppositionalism" (with Van Til's version being referred to as "revelational presupositionalism" or "transcendental presuppositionalism"). Clark's apologetical approach relies heavily on the law of non-contradiction. As a matter of fact, Clark relies heavily on logic in many of his works (cf. especially "Logic" and "God's Hammer"). I guess I've never heard his approach referred to as "Scripturalism."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: and is this thing on Pacific time?
    --------------------------------------
    Sorry, I had my metrics watch on... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. His theory of knowledge is referred to as Scripturalism, not necessarily his apologetic, although one's Epistemology will certainly affect their apologetic and I think this is where the heat rises between the Vantillian and Clarkian camps.

    Sorry for the digression...

    ReplyDelete